Monday, January 21, 2013

Roo Wrangling

Ever wrangle a rooster?


Y'all know Roo, the rooster who adopted me.
I feed him, I water him,
and I made a simple shelter for him.

He eats, he drinks,
but he will not use his shelter.
He prefers to roost in our tree.

That's all fine and dandy until now. The weather is getting extremely cold.
The schools are announcing delays for tomorrow morning due to the cold. 
And as I looked outside, I could see the wind rustling Roo's feathers and thought there was no way I could allow him to stay there through the night.

I told hubby we were going to get Roo.
And what's your plan?...hubby asks.
As I started explaining how we'd do it, I got a case of the giggles then became hysterical at the thought of the two of us trying to catch a rooster.
Hubby says...laugh now cause I'm sure you'll be cussing before this is all over.

The plan was to capture Roo, get him in the dog crate, and put him in the garage for the night...whether he liked it or not. 
Dog crate is ready. Hubby has a rake. I have a blanket. 
We made our way out to the tree with Roo watching.
Roo likes me, but this is different. And he knows it. And he wants no part of it.

He went flying off. I knew the faster we worked, the better.
After playing ring around the garden a few times, we were able to direct him towards the house.
He was running towards the crate. It's now or never.
We cornered him, he panicked, and ran right into the crate.
All done in just a few minutes.

He's in the garage now, out of the cold.
I checked on him and he's all settled in the straw bed we made for him.
All is good for now. And I did not cuss! Not even once.
Crazy bird!

Photobucket

13 comments:

Beth @ E. lizard Breath Speaks said...

ok, don't hit me ... but i am dying laughing. that's hilarious. where is the video? i know you were trying to keep him safe & warm. but i wonder if he realizes that? ha. ha!! ( :

Sherry@The BarnQuiltStore by Ties2ThePast said...

Good job!!!
♥'s
Sherry

sweetvintageofmine said...

I love your bird stories with Roo....this would make a great childrens book!! Seriously!!!! Roxie

Dawn said...

What a funny story. I can just picture you making your plan and putting it into action. So glad you caught Roo, it will be dangerous for animals out there tonight! You did a good deed.

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Yep ~ its going to be a cold one tonight -30 with the wind chill ~ brrr. Roo is going to be happy you got him and kept him warm.
Loved the story.
Prim Blessings
Robin

Ruby and Arthur said...

Sometimes those ol birds don't know what's good for 'em! Cute story! Jean

Pamela Gordon said...

Cindy, that is so funny. I would love to have seen a video of that! Hugs, Pamela

Maureen said...

WTG rooster wrangler! When I moved my chickens to the new coop it took a lot longer than that for three of us to round up five chickens. That dude may decide to just live in your garage from now on.

cynthia lee designs said...

I had to giggle when I read this! So glad that you were able to get Roo and keep him safe from these really cold temps that we are getting tonight.
hugs,
Cindy

The Farmers Daughter said...

What would we do without Roo--and you--for entertainment? I want a video! So funny. But, glad Roo was safe and sound last night. Is he out today?
Hugs,
Dru

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Haha so funny! I can just see you guys chasing him around. A chicken that doesn't want to be caught is hard to get! I'm glad you were able to capture him and keep him in the garage. :)

Ayu Maselli said...

Hi Cindy, so funny Roo,you make me laughing.surely he didn't want stay in garage ;).
thanks for sharing your farm story
have a nice day

Chenille Cottage said...

Oh, Cindy! I am chuckling at your tale of Mr. Roo! He's a character (and, I think you are a bit of one, too)!
What a great story...and thanks for the laughter, my friend!
Blessings and smiles,
Carolynn xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...