"Life is amazingly good when it's simple and amazingly simple when it's good." ~ Terri Guillemets

Monday, March 4, 2013

Farm Fresh Feature - March 2013


Welcome y'all and a good Monday morning to you!!!
It's time for our March Farm Fresh Feature!

I'm truly excited to introduce our feature for this month...

Angie from Knick of Time.
She's a true inspiration and you will love her style.
Let's all give her a farm fresh welcome!

 

What would you like to share with us today, Angie?
I'd love to show you around my home.  My husband and I, along with our 4 kids, 4 dogs, 2 horses and a cat, live in a cozy little farmhouse on 6 acres in western Illinois.  We have only lived here a little over a year, after moving from another farmhouse in Missouri that we lived in for 6 years.  The original part of the house is about 100 years old, with small additions added later.  It appeared that it hadn't had any updates done to it since the 60's, so it was in desperate need of a complete overhaul inside, and we had our work cut out for us as soon as we moved in.

What farm fresh style do you embrace?
My decorating style is a little eclectic, but I'd call it Recycled Vintage Farmhouse.
  
Tell us a little about your space.
When remodeling, we reuse & recycle vintage and antique items, usually purchased at auctions or thrift stores, so no space in our home has a "newly remodeled" look, but appears to have been that way for years.  Not only does it save us a ton of money, but we feel using pieces that have a "history" behind them, really adds unique character to our home.         

Please tell us more. What have you done? Any future plans?
I'm honestly amazed how much we've accomplished here in just 13 months.
We remodeled a bathroom and our kitchen and are nearly finished with another bathroom and the laundry room.  These rooms all required extensive work, but my husband and I make a great team.  He does all the tearing out and rebuilding, and I do all the painting and decorating.

Our entryway had horrible, worn paneling.  That space wasn't at the top of the remodel list, so rather than wait to tear it all out, I decided to just hide the ugly by covering it with old dictionary pages.  It cost less than $15 for the glue and dictionary, and just a few days of work, but it made a huge difference in the space.



My husband did an amazing job remodeling our bathroom.  He installed salvaged antique tongue and groove wood on the walls, and converted an antique cabinet into the sink.



I wallpapered a small section of wall with antique sheet music, and used other vintage elements to complete the room.  The whole bathroom project can be seen here.

 

Our kitchen was the next big remodeling project.  It was in dire need of a complete overhaul, so we had to "gut" the room down to the studs in the walls and start fresh.
(before photo)



It was worth all the work though, and I love my "new" kitchen, filled with many old elements.   After tearing out 4 layers of linoleum and wood underlayment, we discovered a wonderful wood floor, which we sanded and sealed.  Our entire kitchen can be seen here.

What is your favorite spot within the space you are sharing today and why?
My favorite spot in our home is sitting at this counter along the wall that divides our kitchen and living room.  We installed a huge antique window into the wall, which gives an open view between the two rooms.  The window came from a historic Missouri courthouse that had been torn down.  I just love to sit at the counter and work on my computer, while still being able to interact with my family in the living room.



We are nearly finished with the remodel of our laundry room and another bathroom, and then we'll be starting on our bedroom.

Do you have any collections, interest, and/or hobbies that you would like to share?
I have so many little collections that I love, but my favorite collection is my old clocks.



I have them tucked in spots all over my house.


My hobby is taking old, often broken things and turning them into something new.  This tiered stand was created from a few vintage pans and the leg from an antique chair.



I created this wall caddy from the back legs of a chair and added 2 bread pans to it.



Recently, I've been creating signs on antique windows, made to look like they came off an old business building.  My signs are inspired by antique advertisements and signs.



The businesses may be long gone, but I love sharing the memory of them through the creation of my signs.


What do you cherish the most about your farm fresh life?
While 3 of my kids are now young adults, and the youngest is a teenager, I'm so glad they've been able to grow up enjoying the nature and beauty found in rural places.  I love being able to look out my windows and watch our horses in the pasture and enjoy the peaceful quiet of country life.  It just doesn't get much better than that for me!


Where can we find you?
I can be found at my blog - Knick of Time
on Facebook 
(Click on any on the links above for a visit)

Thanks so much for inviting me to come share here today, Cindy - it's been a real pleasure!
Blessings,

Angie


See...don't ya just love it all!?!
Thank you, Angie, for sharing a bit of your farm life and style.
It's a real privilege to have you here.

Hope y'all go give Angie a visit. Just click on any of her links above.
She has so much to see including her new pantry!

And thank you for the visit here at our Farm Fresh Feature.



The next Farm Fresh Feature will be April 1.
Lookin' forward to it! Hope you are, too!

Photobucket

13 comments:

Di said...

Love that Angie, she is inspiring and kind. She is so creative, it is a joy visiting you and thanks for sharing about Angie. Di

Pamela Gordon said...

I love how Angie has decorated and renovated her little old farmhouse. It's is so cute! She has some really original decorating ideas too. Thanks for sharing her home with us Cindy. Have a great week! Blessings, Pamela

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi Cindy,
Oh...You couldn't have chosen a nicer person to feature on your blog. Angie's blog is a delight and I visit it frequently.
I have loved strolling from room to room in Angie's wonderful country farmhouse. It's amazing to see all the clever changes she and her hubby have made. Simply amazing...!!!
Thanks for sharing, Cindy and Angie!
Have a wonderful week,
Carolynn xoxo

Thank you, Cindy, for stopping by and leaving your kind comment on my Farm Fresh post.

must love junk said...

Such a treat! I love Angie's blog, and she was so sweet to me when I started blogging!
Susan

Our Neck of the Woods said...

I am in love with your home! Your style is so unique and cozy! You did such an amazing job with the bathroom and kitchen. I am in awe!

Jo May said...

YAY!...I enjoyed looking around your awesome farmhouse.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Cindy,
Wonderful feature of Angie's home.
Thank you for sharing and also for stopping by and your kind comment on my redesign.
Have a great day dear friend.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

cynthia lee designs said...

I've been following Angie's blog for a while now and I love her farmhouse style!!
hugs,
Cindy

Jann Olson said...

Angie is amazing and I love her style! She makes such fab things out of what many consider to be junk. But we know better, don't we?
hugs,
Jann

Sherry at The Rusty Pearl said...

I love Nick of Time.. I love yours too. I do the happy dance when I see either of you post.. Thanks for always inspiring my sweet friend ............Hugs Sherry

Angie @ Knick of Time said...

Cindy,
Thanks SO much for inviting me over to share my home here with your readers - it was truly my pleasure!!!

Sumaya at Evocative Vintage said...

Angie is awesome, funny, warm, inspiring, creative and a dear friend! Knick of Time is one of the first blogs I followed and I grew as a person, blogger, creator, decorator, etc as a result.

I love her to bits although we live far apart!

Angie can we swop houses??!!

Hugs
Sumaya

The Farmers Daughter said...

I absolutely love Angie's blog! So glad you featured her. Now, I know more about her!
Blessings My Friend,
Dru

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...