"Life is amazingly good when it's simple and amazingly simple when it's good." ~ Terri Guillemets

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Sourdough Bread


Did you know that I've been baking my own bread for 4 years now?
And I haven't bought one loaf during that time.


Now I will admit that I used a bread machine and it almost felt like I was cheating.
Don't get me wrong. The bread smelled divine and tasted good. 
It's just that I just wanted more out of it all.


Then along comes sourdough into my life.
Now I can get back to my roots. Feel connected to my kinfolk of the past.
I put on my apron, play with my sourdough and it makes me a real farm gal.


And ya know what? I like it even if it does take time.
There is no hustle and bustle and an instant loaf within a couple of hours.
After the first step of mixing my bread ingredients, I have to let it set for 18 hours.
A whole 18 hours! It makes me appreciate that there is a whole lot more going on here than just me and a little loaf of bread.


And this sourdough bread making is not difficult.
It's just a process that makes you slow down and appreciate life and all it has to offer.
Who would have thought that a loaf of bread could be so therapeutic!


And I squeal every time I pull the beautiful loaf out of the oven.
I am so excited at how it looks. Perfect. It's my masterpiece.
So I'm going to share how I make my sourdough bread.
I already shared how I made my starter. You can find that post here.


Sourdough Bread Recipe

1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 1/2 Cups All Purpose or Bread Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
1 1/2 Cups Water
1/4 Cup Starter

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
Add starter to water in separate bowl and mix.
Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients.
Mix (I use a spoon and then my hands) until it is a wet, sticky ball.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap so it won't dry out.
Let sit for 18 hours to rise.


Turn out onto floured surface.
Flour hands and push dough into a long oval shape.
Fold into thirds by taking one end and fold towards middle. Take other end and do the same.
Then fold in half the other way making a small loaf shape.
Cover with plastic and let rest 15 minutes.


Lightly coat tea towel with wheat bran or cornmeal.
Take loaf and turn upside down onto tea towel and cover with the towel.
Let rise 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Cut 3 slits in top of loaf.


Preheat oven to 450 degrees with a large pan of water (for steam) on bottom rack.
I put my loaf on a cookie sheet. The loaf needs to be covered the first 15 minutes so I used the bottom to my oval roasting pan which is a perfect fit.
Put into oven on middle rack at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, take the cover off of the loaf, turn oven down to 400 degrees and bake for another 20 minutes (keep an eye on it as all oven temps vary).
And there you have the perfect loaf of sourdough bread.


This may look long and difficult, but trust me.
It is so easy and makes you look like a genius in the kitchen.
If you would like to watch a video first of how to make sourdough bread, this is the one I found:
'BREADTOPIA'

Good luck and best baking to you!!!

Photobucket

16 comments:

Dawn said...

Yummy, thanks for the recipe:)

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

Wow! This bread looks so beautiful! We used to have fresh bread waiting for us every Sunday night when we returned home from church, in a bread machine of course, but there is something about fresh bread, butter, honey and family sitting together oooooing and ahhhhhhing over it. I just might have to try this Cindy. It looks wonderful! I love the chalkboard tray on your fridge too. So pretty... I may have to copy that idea :)

Jori said...

Looks delish! I must try! Thank you for sharing. :)

Lisa Tucker said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. Making bread is a goal of mine this year and you made it seem like I could actually do it...:)))

Sumaya at Evocative Vintage said...

Yum, Yum, Yum...I love home made bread!:)

I am so glad that I came over from Knick of Time. I am a new follower and I look forward to many more visits!

Blessings
Sumaya

Flat Creek Farm said...

yum yum yum!! So many good recipes today and here's another. I'm getting a little better at bread making. Always said I couldn't do it! Practice (and confidence and a good recipe) - it all helps! Thanks for sharing. -Tammy

Chenille Cottage said...

Oh, Cindy! Your bread is amazing...I can only imagine how wonderful it must smell when it's baking. Wow...Thanks for the incredible recipe and photos.
Have a happy day, my friend.
Smiles,
Carolynn xoxo

I'm just loving my darling blue gingham apron. It looks so sweet in my kitchen...thanks to you!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Cindy. Ah, memories! My mom used to make almost all of our bread and I remember her feeling the same way you do. I must admit that I have tried, with the machine that now has been sitting on a shelf in the pantry for a couple of years, but I guess it's not for me, but I do appreciate everything you have said about the process, and deep down, wish it was..Happy Wednesday..Judy

Moncha Eilis said...

That looks so wonderful !! Thank you so much for the recipe.

Our Neck of the Woods said...

It's such a pretty loaf! I love sourdough, so I'll have to try this out sometime. I bet it's so exciting when it finally comes out of the oven!

Liz said...

Oh I can't wait to try this! I have all of my things ready to start my starter on Monday. Where do you keep your starter while its brewing? My counters are granite and seem cold. Maybe on top of the fridge? I am going back to read about your starter! Thanks!
Liz

Sherry said...

Beautiful bread Cindy. You make it looks easy to make! My kids would loves it!
Sherry

Amy Kinser said...

Girl, that looks wonderfully delicious. Definitely a farm girl.

Sarajan (Jan to friends!) said...

Your bread is beautiful - wish blogs had 'scratch 'n sniff'! A friend has been trying to give me a starter of her bread for a while but I've been intimidated by the process. Your clear, simple directions make it sound so easy. I'm calling her right to get my starter! -- Jan

The Farmers Daughter said...

Now, you're making my stomach growl! It looks so GOOD--Got any homemade butter to go on it? lol
Was this the bread in your dream?
Hugs!
Dru

Liz said...

My starter has been growing for a week now. Tomorrow I am giving this bread a try. It will taste great with Thursdays supper menu! Thanks for sharing.
Liz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...