"Life is amazingly good when it's simple and amazingly simple when it's good." ~ Terri Guillemets

Monday, May 13, 2013

Can We Talk?


I hope you had a wonderful weekend with it being Mother's Day.

I wanted to share this little nest with you that is in my garden.
A sweet sparrow is soon to be a mama herself to seven little ones.
Count them. Seven eggs. That's the most I've ever seen in one nest.


And did you know that she just finished raising a family in this nest?
That's right. She's starting all over again.
And did you know that this nest has been used and rebuilt over and over again.
Every year.

Now can we talk?
It breaks my heart every time I read a blog where the blogger finds a nest, then states it was empty so she took it and put it in her decor. Yep, it about makes me cry.

We need to be the protectors of our wildlife.
Just because a nest is empty does not mean it has become useless.
The nest in this photo makes me happy right where it is.
It's the perfect vignette set within my boxwood bush in the corner of my garden.

Oh, here's a bit of interesting info...
According to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918, it's illegal to disturb the nest of any native bird without a permit. It's also illegal to collect or have in your possession bird feathers, nests, or eggs without a permit.
I have picked up a nest from the ground before. I have not and will not do so again.

My garden has become a home, a playground, and a sanctuary to the birds.
They all provide me pure joy with their songs and little antics.
Let's respect God's little creatures and their homes.
We can admire them right where they belong...in the great outdoors.

Stepping down off my soapbox now.
Thank you for listening.

Photobucket

16 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

I believe that is a law here in Canada too. I do have a couple of birds nests but they were found on the ground where they will never be used again. I don't think it's wrong to use those ones. It's amazing that the parents of this brood are on their second hatching this spring and have so many eggs!

The Zeigler Homestead said...

Good post! I've seen a few times on Pinterest where people are putting discarded yarn, tissue, etc into a suet feeder providing mama birds material to use in their nests. I think that is so neat!!

Have a good day! Susie

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME/Doublewide Decor said...

I think the nests are so pretty but unless they have fallen down on their own, I wouldn't touch it. However, I don't bring them in the house, because of the critters that might live in it. So all the nesties by me are safe from me at least!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Those eggs are some of the prettiest I've ever seen! What a great photo.

I'm with you, I don't disturb their nests. We have one by our garage door light that was built last year and the bird returned to it this year. There are 3 cute baby birds in there right now! :)

Liz said...

What a busy little bird around your house! We have a cardinals nest in our pines that has been here forever! I have found quite a few egg shells scattered around my yard. Must be lots of baby birds in the nearby trees!

Debra @ Homespun said...

very interesting post as I usually feel the same way and LOL I also sort of shudder at all of the things that I see done with book pages :)

For all of my life I have loved books and reading so it is probably just me, but I don't know if I could destroy a book for a craft :)

cynthia lee designs said...

I have some bird's nest, but none of them are the real thing.
I leave those alone, so mama birds are use them.
hugs,
Cindy

The Farmers Daughter said...

I didn't know about that law! We have become a home for birds, too. When we first moved to the farm, there weren't many. Now, we have a number of species that feel safe and protected here. Good for you for stepping up and speaking for our fine feathered friends!
Hugs,
Dru

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Cindy, What great info about nests. I did not know these details. I have never gathered nest from my garden and I knew they were used again, but I have purchased real nests and have one right in my decor. After reading this, I will not add any more real in my home. Thank you for this info.
Is Friday our country whites weekend? Looking forward to it this month.
Have a great day.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Cindy. Thanks for posting this. I admit that I have a nest in my position. When I was on yard duty at school a few years ago, two little boys brought it to me saying they found it. Not knowing where it came from, I brought it home and cherish it. It was empty and there was a shoestring as part of the making of it. They work so hard and are so smart..Happy Tuesday..Judy

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Very good idea to leave the nests for reuse!

Monique Elisabeth said...

What a wonderful post. That nest is so beautiful with those perfect little eggs.
Just leaving it there, although empty is the best thing to do.
I totally agree with you ; )
Have a great day.

fashion-meets-art said...

omg- so cute! thanks for sharing. we also have a garden and every year there a lots of new birds, but i have never seen the eggs.
lovely greets
maren anita

emu australia giveaway:
FASHION-MEETS-ART by Maren Anita

Jann Olson said...

Good to know that Cindy. I have never taken a nest out of the tree. I have however had a couple that I found lying on the ground. Do you think we should stick them back up? Nice talking to you my friend!
hugs,
Jann
p.s. Love the color of eggs.

Sherry at The Rusty Pearl said...

I love this post and I will never look at a nest the same. I agree with you totally and never thought about the mamma bird coming back to the nest. LOVE this .. hugs and blessings to you

Little Susie Home Maker said...

So glad to hear you post this, although I was never aware of the laws. I do leave my nests undisturbed, but wonder what to do when they blow out of the trees? So I try to find some branches that look like they might make a good home and wedge them back. Never have known if this was a good idea or not, but I do love our birds, too. When we moved onto our property out here on the prairie 20 years ago there was not a single tree. Now We have hundreds of trees and bushes that we have [planted and we always have planted fruit trees and shrubs for our wild life!! We have so many critters living out here now it is such a joy!! Bless you, Cindy!
Susie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...