"Life is amazingly good when it's simple and amazingly simple when it's good." ~ Terri Guillemets

Monday, May 6, 2013

Farm Fresh Feature - May 2013


The time has arrived for another fabulous
Farm Fresh Feature!!!

Here's Tammy from Our Neck of the Woods!
Her love and passion for her down home lifestyle shows in every post she writes.
Let's get to know her and give her a farm fresh welcome while we're at it!


What would you like to share with us today?
I am so thrilled to share our homestead with everyone today! We are situated on 20 wooded acres in the country and have a big vegetable garden and a barnyard full of critters. At current critter count we have 5 baby chicks, 10 hens, 2 roosters, 35 guinea fowl, 2 indoor cats, 2 outdoor cats, a new hive of bees, and a livestock guardian dog. 


 





 


 


What farm/country lifestyle are you currently embracing?
We are on a path to be as self-sufficient as possible, mainly with our food supply. About 5 years ago, we saw a documentary called Food, Inc. and it completely changed our lives. We wanted to have control over our food from seed to plate, so we decided to make the move to the country to have enough land to grow lots of veggies and not be restricted on the type of livestock we could keep. We are far from being completely self-sufficient, but we are much closer than we were 5 years ago.


Tell us more. What are you raising, growing, doing to obtain this lifestyle?
Our hens supply us with delicious farm fresh eggs, and we have an ever expanding vegetable garden to grow our own organic veggies and herbs. Eventually we hope to be able to grow all of our own food and put enough up to last us through the winter months (we live in Missouri so we can't garden year-round unfortunately). This is only our second year gardening at our new place so we have a lot to learn! We lived in the city before moving to our country home in May 2011 and gardening out here in the woods is much different from gardening in the city. We've had to cut down quite a few trees to have enough sunlight for our garden. The soil isn't the best, but we are adding composted chicken manure to the garden each year to add lots of nutrients. We had a horrible drought in our part of the country last year, so our garden didn't perform near as well as we'd hoped. It's definitely a learning experience!





 

 Do you have any future plans/goals?
We are getting into beekeeping for the first time this year! We just picked up our bees from a local beekeeper during the last week of April, and we are so excited to learn more about them and hopefully harvest our own honey later this year. Next year we plan to get some ducks to live near our garden area to help with eradicating bugs and other pests. In a few years, we hope to add either some sheep or goats to our property for milk so we can make our own cheese. Our biggest and most desired future plan is to have a pond dug on our property behind our house. We are currently saving up to have a professional do it for us so it may take a while until this goal is realized, but we are working on it!

 

What do you cherish most about your farm fresh life?
My favorite thing about my farm fresh life is where I live. My husband and I love to take hikes in the woods together and explore our surroundings. For me, being in nature is a very spiritual experience and I feel like I am at peace and can breathe easy when I am in the woods. Seeing a gorgeous sunrise come over the tree line while letting the chickens out of their coop in the morning is just about the best thing there is. I get so much inspiration and energy from my wide open spaces and I'm never going back to the city!

 




 Where can we find you?
I blog regularly over at Our Neck of the Woods and you can also find me on Facebook by clicking the brown button at the top of my blog's sidebar or visit directly by clicking here. I hope you pop over to say hello; I'd love to get to know you better!

 

Thanks, Tammy for sharing your homestead with us today.
You are a true inspiration!

And thank you to our readers for taking the time today.
Don't you love her lifestyle and her critters?
I've told Tammy that I either want to adopt her or to be her neighbor. LOL!
Want to learn more? Just hop on over to her 'blog'


The next Farm Fresh Feature will be June 3.
See ya then! 

Photobucket

22 comments:

The Farmers Daughter said...

I knew! I knew it! I knew it! But, I didn't tell anyone. Tammy has an awesome blog and is a fantastic pick for your Farm Feature! Great post!
Hugs and Blessings to you both,
Dru

Lisa Tucker said...

I love Tammy's blog. I read it regularly. They inspire me!!!! Thanks for featuring them...:)

Liz said...

I really enjoy Tammys blog. Its so interesting to see another persons take on the adventures of homesteading.

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Thank you so much for featuring my homestead this month! I am so excited to see it up on your site - it looks great! And thanks to everyone for the sweet comments; they really made my day!

sweetvintageofmine said...

LOVE this FARM FRESH FEATURE Post!! I MUST check out Tammys blog asap! I so enjoy reading the self-sufficient homesteading posts....Thanks Cindy! Blessings and have a wonderful week~~~Roxie

Jori said...

I LOVE Tammy! Great photo's!

Debra @ Homespun said...

Her gray and white cat with the blue eyes is practically a twin to my cat Kanga! :)

Cristina Garay said...

I love Tammy's blog, she is a sweetie! Her stories are always so interesting and fun!

ImSoVintage said...

Great feature. Can't wait to pop over and visit her blog. :)
Laura

cynthia lee designs said...

Great Farm Fresh Feature!! I recently found Tammy's blog and look forward to getting to know her better.
hugs,
Cindy

Buttons said...

Oh I love Tammy's Blog she is an inspiration to all who want to move to the country and enjoy what it has to offer. Thank you for sharing this. B

Staci at Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

What a wonderful post Cindy! I agree about either wanting to adopt Tammy or have her for a neighbor - she is so sweet.

Magnolia Holler said...

What a wonderful feature! I love Tammy's blog! Her blog is beautifully designed with fabulous pictures and eloquent stories! She's a true inspiration!

daisy said...

I follow her blog but haven't yet seen her property as it looks here. So amazing. It's obvious why she doesn't want to go back to the city!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Cindy, What a wondeful feature.
Tammy is a sweetheart and lives in a little spot of heaven on earth.
All the critters are so cute.
I will go over the visit her blog too.
Thank you for sharing Cindy.
hugs, Celestina Marie

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

What a wonderful inspiring feature! The photos alone are fabulous!

eileeninmd said...

I have been visiting Tammy at her blog for a while now. So glad you have featured Tammy and her farm. I love all the critters and photos. Great post. Have a happy day!

mail4rosey said...

Great feature! Tammy's got one of my most favorite blogs with some of the best stories, and she's nice too. :)

born ambitious. born imaginative. said...

I love Tammy's blog too! She's a great girl and it's nice to read a little more background. I also enjoyed poking around on your site too! :)

Sugar Cookies to Peterbilts said...

I love reading Tammy's blog, too. I really wish she was my neighbor!

Lynn said...

Love all the beautiful photos. Tammy has a real knack for photography. It's inspiring to see all the ways she's enjoying her neck of the woods :)

The Little Acre that Could said...

So glad I caught this post by Tammy - a real lovely girl to get to know, and a fabulous photographer and blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...