"Life is amazingly good when it's simple and amazingly simple when it's good." ~ Terri Guillemets

Friday, May 31, 2013

Morning Ritual


Every morning is the same.
I step out onto the front porch to hang the flag.


Kit Kat and I then walk down the gravel driveway to the back yard.
Kit Kat has to, and I mean has to, roll over and over again until she is a filthy mess.


I check the herbs.
I have critters that dig around in the dirt and mulch creating a little mess.
I take the time to tidy it up. Again.


I take notice of how many bees are active in my garden.
I have a variety of blooms to draw them in.
I'm a little surprised this year that the numbers are small and hope they will increase soon.


I check my cool weather crops and look forward to the cucumbers to grow up and around the arch.
This will help protect the kale, beets, spinach, and carrots from becoming too hot from the sun.


Kit Kat prowls the pathways of the garden looking for any signs of life.


And then this.
This is at the end of my garden with a beautiful view of the lake.
But what is that ugly thing standing there?
Even Kit Kat sits there and stares at it.
It doesn't seem to belong here.


This is my major fail this year.
I decided to plant sweet potatoes.
I read many ways to do so and decided to try my version of it.
Isn't it ugly?


Wiring lined with black plastic garbage bags held on by clothespins then filled with dirt.
I planted sweet potatoes throughout the sides.
It's not working so well.
And it's ugly.

Live and learn.
And there's always next year.
Right?

Photobucket

13 comments:

Beth @ E. lizard Breath Speaks said...

love the bee shot. Kit Kat is such a cutie. ( :

sweetvintageofmine said...

I love a gal who is willing to try anything! Looking at your garden makes me miss mine this year....(took this year off because of the move)..and obviously those sweet potatoes don't appreciate the view! Have a blessed and wonderful weekend~~~Roxie

The Farmers Daughter said...

What wonderful mornings your have! I love getting out early and walking around the farm. Your gardens look GREAT! I'm ashamed to show mine!
Give Kit Kat a hug from Boo. . .
Dru

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Haha, I have to commend you for at least trying the sweet potatoes! I haven't tried them yet so I have no idea how I'd plant them. I hope they grow for you!

Love the shots of Kit Kat :) Such shiny black fur!

Bliss said...

Well we have done regular potatoes in old tires stacked on top of each other, and that didn't look any better!

Bliss

Willow said...

Come to think off it I haven't been seeing many bees around here lately.

cynthia lee designs said...

What a great way to start each day. I tried having a garden here many years ago, but on the wild critters ate up everything...so I gave up.
hugs,
Cindy

Maureen said...

None of those stacked potato things seem to actually work. what is it with cats rolling around outside and getting covered in dirt? Maeve does it the minute she goes out with me and she's otherwise a very tidy cat.

Sarah Adams said...

I love the bee picture. We were just discussing the lack of bees today. I have heard that sweet potatoes are hard to grow..

Monique Elisabeth said...

Hi, you have a wonderful garden, I love your herb garden with the white picket fence !!
Kit Kat looks so sweet.
I hope the sweet potatoes are going to grow. Have a great day.

Lisa Tucker said...

I love your morning routine....Kit Kat would love my kitties...they do the same thing. I am especially happy that you put your garden "fail" on here....keeping it real...that's what it is all about and it makes me love you even more...:)))))

Sumaya at Evocative Vintage said...

How beautiful everything looks Cindy. You are blessed to be surrounded by nature's beauty and making the most of it. Kit Kat is a sweetie pie!:)

Hugs from a freezing Cape Town:)

Pamela Gordon said...

I really do love your morning ritual. It sounds so pleasant to walk, look over the garden then see the pretty lake. Can you replant the sweet potatoes in the ground or is it too late? I know nothing about them so maybe that's a dumb question. Once they get growing the plastic will be covered with green leaves won't it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...