"Life is amazingly good when it's simple and amazingly simple when it's good." ~ Terri Guillemets

Monday, April 28, 2014

Buttermilk Biscuit Therapy


It's a storming out there. What to do when I can't be outside on a pretty day?
I stay in and head for the kitchen. And I make biscuits.
Buttermilk biscuits are my therapy when I can't be outside in the garden.
I enjoy making them, but most of all...I enjoy eating them.
Lots of butter and local honey. Yum!


I didn't have homemade biscuits growing up so making them from scratch was a complete mystery to me. But once I started, I can't imagine not having biscuits at our table.
And buttermilk biscuits are my favorite. They are easy to do and you can whip up a batch in no time.
I thought I'd share my recipe here. Enjoy. I'm going back to the kitchen to grab another biscuit.

OLD TIME BUTTERMILK BISCUITS

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Sift together dry ingredients into a large bowl. Cut butter into chunks and add to bowl. Use a pastry cutter until the butter is mixed and resembles course meal. Add the buttermilk and mix just until combined. This is important as you don't want to overwork it. I barely mix it with a large spoon and then use my hands to quickly shape it into a loose ball. I use floured parchment paper to put the dough onto and lightly pat it to the desired thickness (no more than an inch thick). I just eyeball the thickness. Use a round cutter to cut into biscuits. You'll have about 12 biscuits (give or take). I place my biscuits in a pan touching each other as I think they rise better that way. Bake for 12 minutes. 

Betcha can't eat just one!


post signature

8 comments:

cynthia lee designs said...

Looks so yummy!! Just might have to eat more than one!!
hugs,
Cindy

kimberly said...

I've been baking biscuits a lot lately, too! yum!

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Cindy, these look so delicious. I have to eat gluten free so I would substitute the flour for rice flour. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I used to make them all the time but since finding out my troubles they have been missed.
Have a great evening and enjoy a biscuit for me!!
Hugs

Sugar Cookies to Peterbilts said...

Oh my! You make me want to mix up some right now!

sweetvintageofmine said...

What a great routine you have...if you can't play in the dirt, you play in the flour! Sounds wonderful to me~~~and they loooook delicious! Biscuit Blessings~~~Roxie

The Farmers Daughter said...

I KNOW I couldn't eat just one! I love everything about buttermilk biscuits with anything on them--apple butter, pumpkin butter, jelly, jams, honey, sorghum--it's all good. Yours look so light! Just like my Mom's. I'm not as good at baking them as I am at eating them!!!!!!
Hugs and Blessings,
Dru

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Hi Cindy! Been a long time! I absolutely love sourdough biscuits. Fresh honey, I will have to make some. Thank you for sharing your recipes. I hope you are really doing good. I am looking forward to summer.
Blessings
Susie

Debbie Moss said...

They sure look delicious!
Greetings from England.
I`m your new follower! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...